Weekly Running and Cross Training Workouts 5/29/17
My weekly running and cross training workouts from last week are below. As I was doing the speed work on Tuesday, I realized I was working way too hard. I thought there were 6 sets of 8 by 400 meter runs at almost 5K pace. Well, after looking at the plan I am following and trying to run that many 400's I almost lost my ability to run or walk. After careful reading (that is key) it appears I have been running more than is called for. The plan is to run 6 to 8, 400's and that's it. So, last week, I was pretty tried every day even on my rest days. Now that a new week has started and I am able to do the workouts the correct way, I am feeling much better already and it's only the beginning of the week. Reading carefully is key in most situations. I have learned my lesson and will not be running myself sick or to injury. Brining up injury, it's important to always listen to your body. If there is a day you wake up and are supposed to do a certain workout but it's just not in you. Don't do it. Do what you can because there is always the next day or week. Injuries will set you back more than just taking one workout at a slower or more easy pace.
I try to be mindful when I exercise and do yoga. I have found this increases my awareness of what my body is telling me. When I used to be more robotic about working out, I had injury after injury. Now that I listen a little more and pay attention to each ache and pain, my injuries are far less. On with my workouts from last week. I hope it inspires you to try something new or add something to your existing workout routine.
This weeks workouts:
M- 35 minute Tabata/HIIT workout 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off is one time. I warmed up with a minute of jumping jacks and did each round four times with no rest in between, ending with one minute of jumping jacks and 10 minutes of long slow yoga stretches.
- round one: coffee grinders with a hop, superman planks, 2 push-ups with 4 jumping jack planks, mountain climbers
- round two: burpee-pops, handstand mountain climbers, side plank reaches, sumo squat jumps with crossed legs
- round three: lunge knee ups (step back with right foot into a lunge, bring right knee up in front of body and hop, 15 reps, each side), speed skaters, walking planks, windshield wipers (lay on back, feet in the air, legs straight. Move legs together from side to side, working abdominals)
T- 10x400 meters with an easy mile warm-up and cool down
W- easy 3 mile run
Th- 4 mile run with 6-8 strides, half mile cool down
F- 20 minutes of Tabata (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off) and 60 minutes vinyasa yoga
- round one: skater hops, plank hip dips, burpee pops, sumo squats with a jump every three squats
- round two: side to side hops, downward dog push-ups, jumping jacks, lunge switch hops, planks with donkey kick
S- Easy 4.5 mile run
S- 7 mile easy trail run
If you have any questions about the various exercises I use for my Tabata and HIIT workouts, leave a comment.